Calling all young artists!
At Thames Chase, we are running a special art competition for children to showcase what they love about forests across the Community Forest and beyond.
The project is part of our annual art exhibition which each year sees over 150 local artists participate in a display at the Forest Centre. Last year local artist Tom Mead, a finalist in the 2019 Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year competition, launched the Art and Sculpture Exhibition.
This is the second children's art competition which runs alongside the annual adult exhibition, and new for this year, we are working with local artists to deliver inspiration online throughout the May half term holiday to help inspire young minds with their submission, working in different mediums and processes.
The artwork can be any medium eg. paint, pencil, charcoal, collage or sculpture and an image of the child’s favourite artwork should be emailed to email@example.com with the sentence ‘I love forests because…” completed, by noon on 10th August. Entries will be judged in 2 categories (4-10yrs and 11-16yrs). The winners will receive a special lesson from one of our artists Jackie Cooper, alongside art materials.
How to get involved
- Create your artwork in any medium and take a photo
- Send the photo (png or jpg file please) to firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday 10th August 12 noon
- Send the photo of your artwork with: Artist name, age, parental contact details, declaration this is the child's work and sentence completed “I love the forest because..”
Terms and conditions
- There are 2 age groups for entry to the competition: 4-10yrs and 11-16yrs
- Medium can be artist's choice eg paint, charcoal, collage, sculpture etc.
- Each entrant can submit only one piece of art
- Entrants to complete the sentence: I love the forest because…..
- All pieces of art to be accompanied by name and age of entrant, and submitted with the declaration: "I declare this piece of artwork is my child's work ........................... (Parent's name) ..............(date)"
- Size of the artwork doesn’t matter, but file sent should be 1 mgb - 5 mgb in size and provided as a jpg or png file
- Photos of the artwork can be submitted at any time to email@example.com for display on the website and/or social channels.
- Artwork to be submitted before Monday 10th August by 12 noon
- Work will be displayed on social media throughout the submission period, and final entries shared in an online gallery on the website 16th – 21st August, and if possible, in a gallery at Thames Chase Forest Centre at the Visitor Centre (subject to current restrictions)
- Winners of each age group will be notified before 24th August
- Judging will take place during this week in 2 age categories: 4-10 years, 11-16 years. Categories will be: 1. Winner 2. Runner up 3. Highly Recommended.
- Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at the Art and Sculpture Preview Evening on Tuesday 25th August
- Winning pictures to be hung in the main adult exhibition and promoted alongside
- Copyright for all images will remain with the respective entrants
- The artist should agree, unconditionally, that the photographs submitted may be exhibited and that Thames Chase may reproduce any of the images for the purposes of promotion, marketing, discussion and education
- The artist will be credited for the use of their work
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.