The landscape character of Thorndon South is in marked contrast to the predominantly wooded feel surrounding the Countryside Centre at Thorndon North. Visit on a clear day to enjoy the feeling of space and the stunning views across the Thames to Kent.
The open parkland at Thorndon South is busy with families playing games and enjoying picnics. Drink in views across countryside as far as Canary Wharf or fly a kite on one of its many hills.
Dawn till dusk
Features of the Park include:
- Site Area: 529acres (214 hectares) (Thorndon North and South Combined)
- Site Type: Parkland/Woodland
- Site Users: Open to all
- Path Length: 2.3km (Cycling – 0.6km, Horse Riding – 0.6km)
- Path Conditions: Fully Accessible - 0.2km Rough - 0.4km Unsurfaced - 1.7km
- Visitors Centre: Countryside Centre: shop and tearoom (Thorndon Country Park North)
- Open summer 9:00am until 5:00pm, winter 9:00am until 4:00pm, the Countryside Centre is jointly owned and managed by Essex Wildlife Trust.
- Forest Café open from 09:00am to 4:00pm
- Toilets: Yes (Disabled, Baby changing)
- Parking: 8:00am till dusk
- Nearest Train Station: West Horndon - 1.5km
- Nearest Bus stop: 100m
- Bus Number: First Thamesway 751, 750
- Postcode: CM13 3LL
- Site Management Organisation: Essex County Council
- Phone: 01277 211250
- Email: Essex.CountryParks@essex.gov.uk
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.