Belhus Woods Country Park is a diverse landscape of ancient woodland, grassland and lakes.
The park is located within Thames Chase community forest which covers 40sq miles to the east of London. It aims to provide an attractive area with more trees, a range of wildlife habitats, farms and more places for you to visit.
With over 300 acres in South Essex, Belhus Woods combines ancient woodland, working woods, flower meadows, open grassland, and fishing and conservation lakes. It’s a great place to walk your dog, picnic by the lake, feed the ducks, go fishing or spot wildlife. There are many activities throughout the year for families and nature enthusiasts, including watching model boats.
There is now an all-weather, multi-ability wooded play area a short walk from the car park and visitor centre.
Belhus Woods Country Park acts as a focal point for the area; with extensive visitor facilities and a diverse landscape mix. Some of the site’s existing woodlands have been actively managed over the years by coppicing. The Essex County Council Rangers continue this tradition today, making hazel hurdles and thatching spars from the cut material. The Park’s lakes result from previous gravel extraction and are now selectively managed for conservation or fishing.
The park is open daily from 8am until dusk. Check entrance boards for daily lock-up times.
Features of the park include:
- Site Area: Over 300 acres
- Visitors Centre – Open 9:30-15:30 on weekdays, and 9:30-16:00 on weekends.
- Toilets, including disabled and baby changing facilities.
- Function Room
- Car park: Pay and display:
- Up to 1 hour £2.20
- Up to 2 hours £3.30
- Up to 3 hours £4.40
- Over 3 hours £5.50
- Season Parking Available
- Picnic areas
- Reasonably level site with good access for wheelchair users
- Dogs: Allowed
- Nearest Train Station: Upminster - 5km
- Nearest Bus Stop: 50m
- Bus Number: Arriva 373
- Site Management Organisation: Essex County Council
- Phone: 01708 865628
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.visitparks.co.uk/places/belhus-woods-country-park/
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.