The Brickfields are a locally important informal recreation site for Cranham residents.
Cranham Brickfields is a real gem, containing an outstanding array of different wildlife habitats within a postage stamp sized nature reserve. What’s more, the site is also designated by the Greater London Authority as a Grade I Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation. There’s a decent sized pond here where you can see great crested newts and grass snakes, wildflower meadows, scrub, look out for briar rose, and woodland. Spring and summer are a great time to visit when the meadows are in flower and the scrub creates song posts for a great variety of migrant birds.
The site has had a number of past uses. Not only has it been used for excavating clay to make bricks but it has been a football pitch, it was cultivated for food during the main war effort, and at one time there was a boating lake here!
The site is good for all kinds of recreation including sports or walking the dog. There is a circular hardened pathway around the site and pond dipping platform. It is a peaceful oasis on the edge of Cranham. The site can also be used for school visits for wildlife studies.
Special plants and animals:
Dyer's greenweed, pepper saxifrage, slow worm, common lizard, stag beetle, butterflies and great crested newt.
Accessible at all times
Features of the Park include:
- Site Area: 22 acres (8.9 ha)
- Site Type: Local Nature Reserve
- Site Users: Pedestrians
- Path Length: 1km (unsurfaced)
- Car Park – In the north west corner of the site, free
- The site is not wheelchair accessible. There is open access over the entire site. You can find more information about the site, including a map on The Brickfield Birder website.
- Getting there: There is a public right of way running through the site from Sunnycroft Gardens to St. Mary's Lane.
- Site Leaflet – Soon to be available online
- Children’s Play Area
- Nearest Train/Tube: Upminster – 4km
- Nearest Bus stop: Front Lane
- Bus Number: 248
- Site Management Organisation: London Borough of Havering
- Site Manager: London Borough of Havering Parks Service
- Phone: 01708 434743
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunnycroft Gardens, Cranham, Upminster RM14 1HR
OS Ref: TQ 580 875
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.