Folkes Lane Woodland is another hidden gem, tucked between the A127 and M25, and is well worth a visit for the stunning views alone. The site is situated on former arable fields grouped around a steep hill.
Contrary to popular belief, Essex is not flat. One of the best kept secrets in Thames Chase is also one of its best views. From its top are vistas south over the River Thames to the North Downs and west across London’s Docklands and Canary Wharf. On a good day you can see as far as the O2 at Greenwich and the London Eye. For those of you who like to watch a sunset, or look out over the metropolis while enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside will love Folkes Lane Community Woodland.
Created from four arable fields in 2002, the 48ha (119 acre) Folkes Lane Woodland has become a major landmark from the M25. But with over 90,000 trees planted by the Forestry Commission,the M25 will soon disappear from view! A gentle stroll from the car park will bring you to a spectacular view all the way to the Millennium Dome, Canary Wharf and the London Eye. It’s a fabulous spot for a picnic! Horse riders are welcome anywhere off path as well as on the designated horse routes.
Possibly the nicest picnic spot in Thames Chase, this Forestry Commission site was opened in 2003. Off the surfaced paths, its hillsides provide some fairly strenuous exercise opportunities whilst a small wet area for amphibians and a hilltop picnic spot provide the perfect stopping points to get your breath back.
Over 90,000 native trees are steadily growing on site, providing a welcome screen to the neighbouring M25 motorway.
8am till dusk
Features of the Park include:
- Site Area: 119 acres (48ha)
- Site Type: Public Access Woodland
- Site Users: Open to all
- Path Length: Pedestrians and Cyclists - 3.2km (0.6km unsurfaced)
- Horse Riders – 1.1km
- Car Park: Yes Folkes Lane, just before M25 turn-off of A127, Dawn till Dusk, Free
- Nearest Train/Tube: Harold Wood/Upminster – 3km
- Nearest Bus stop: 0.5km
- Bus Number: First London 346,248
- Site Management Organisation: Forestry Commission
- Site Manager: Community Ranger
- Phone: 01708 642964
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.forestryengland.uk/folkes-lane-woodland
OS Grid ref: TQ577 895
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.