The Thames Chase Forest Centre at Broadfields is not only the hub of the Community Forest, but it is at its geographic centre as well.
Surrounded by a landscape of woods, meadows, ponds and paths that have been created from disused farmland, there is scope for recreation, discovery and study. The surrounding estate offers all-weather paths for walking for all abilities, cycling and riding.
The carefully restored farm buildings boast a 17th century Essex Barn - one of the best preserved in the London area. Admire the cathedral-like structure as you enjoy one of the many events held here. The Ford education room converted from the farm cart shed, is used by schools and community groups for study, as a conference centre and for private celebrations.
Exploring the grounds around the Forest Centre where wildlife abounds can offer a rare glimpse of such natural rarities as water voles, great crested newts, and a wide variety of birds and insects.
Walk into the visitors centre and you enter a building created almost entirely of wood. Here, within its award winning structure you can relax and enjoy a snack or lunch at the Forest centre Cafe whilst admiring the views from its panoramic window or from the terrace or find that special purchase in the Centre shop. The first floor meeting room can accomodate clubs, community groups and societies.
9am till dusk
Features of the Park include:
- Site Area: 138.4 acres (56ha)
- Site Users: Open to all
- Path Length: Pedestrians and Cyclists - 7.2 km (2.7km unsurfaced), Horse Riders – 1.5km
- Car Park: £2 for all day, open from dawn till dusk
- Visitors Centre
- 10am-5pm in Summer
- 10am-4pm in Winter
- Toilets including disabled and baby changing facilities
- Environmental play sculptures for all ages
- Dogs welcome (not inside visitors centre)
- Nearest Train/Tube: Upminster – 3.5km
- Nearest Bus stop: Pond Walk
- Bus Number: 346
- Site Management Organisation: Thames Chase Trust (The Forest Centre)/Forestry Commission (Broadfields)
- Phone: 01708642970
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thames Chase Forest Centre at Broadfields, Pike lane, Upminster, Havering, RM14 3NS
OS Ref: TQ 585 865
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.