The Thorndon Countryside Centre, jointly run with the Essex Wildlife Trust, is the focal point for visitors. Thorndon North is a fascinating site and merits exploration on its extensive path network.
The tranquil woodlands of Thorndon North surround the beautiful Childerditch pond and attract many migrant and over-wintering birds such as bramblings, siskins and redpolls. In spring, the woods fill with the scent and colour of bluebells and anemones. The famous Gruffalo Trail also starts here.
Dawn till dusk
Features of the Park include:
- Site Area: 529acres (214 hectares) (Thorndon North and South Combined)
- Site Type: Parkland/Woodland
- Site Users: Open to all
- Path Length: 7.0km (Cycling – 3.7km, Horse Riding – 3.7km)
- Path Conditions: Fully Accessible - 0.7km Accessible - 0.2km Rough - 3.9km Unsurfaced - 2.2km
- Visitors Centre: Countryside Centre: shop and tearoom
- Open summer 9:00am until 5pm, winter 9:00am until 4;00pm, the Countryside Centre is jointly owned and managed by Essex Wildlife Trust.
- Parking: 8:00am till dusk
- Toilets: Yes (Disabled, Baby changing)
- Nearest Train Station: Brentwood – 3km
- Nearest Bus stop: 0.5km
- Bus Number: First Thamesway 73, 73A, 269
- Site Management Organisation: Essex County Council
- Phone: 01277 211250
- Email: Essex.CountryParks@essex.gov.uk
Grid ref: TQ 605 915
Postcode: CM13 3LL
Do you have anything to add to this page? Click below to submit your content.